Courtesy Of Spend With Pennies
- Add extra fat: Fat makes things taste awesome, so try going a little overboard with the butter or oil. It will make your cake rich and give it that made-from-scratch flavor.
- Add some mayo: Adding a tablespoon of mayonnaise to any standard boxed mix will ensure your cake will stay moist and delicious longer. It will hold in the moisture without adding a million calories to the recipe!
- Use butter instead of oil: You can exchange butter and oil one to one, so don’t be afraid to try it. Butter is better for you anyway!
- Replace the water: Use milk instead of water to make your cake mix a little richer. It makes for a denser, more homemade taste and texture!
- Add pudding: Up the liquids you add to the cake and throw in a box of Jello pudding in any flavor. The pudding helps to thicken the mixture and make it rich, dense, and delicious!
- Get creative: Have you ever thrown some yummy add-ins to your recipe? It can take your boxed cake from drab to fab in no time! Try throwing in some crushed Oreos, chocolate candies, sprinkles, or even preserves. The only limit is your imagination!
- Add an extra egg: If you’re in a rush and don’t have time for all the extra details, try just adding another egg to your mix. You won’t believe the difference it makes!
- Make your icing from scratch: Even if you don’t have the time to make the cake from scratch, the icing should be. It is the main difference between the plain flavors of boxed cake and the luscious style of handmade treat.