- Golden Delicious Sweet, firm, and juicy. Good raw or baked.
- Rome Crisp, firm, and slightly tart.
Holds its shape well when cooked.
- Fuji Crisp and juicy with a mild bite. Tasty when eaten fresh or good in homemade applesauce.
- Red Delicious Juicy, slightly tart, with a tough skin. Eat fresh (it breaks down and loses flavor when cooked).
- Pink Lady Sweet-tart flavor in a firm, crisp package. Great fresh or baked.
- Granny Smith Crisp and tart. An all-purpose apple especially popular for applesauce and juice.
- Empire Very crisp and juicy with a sweet-tart finish. Eat fresh or use in cider. Loses its texture in pie and applesauce.